Manchester City 10 Huddersfield Town 1

Thirty years ago today, way back in 1987 David White was one of three players to score a hat-trick as Manchester City beat Huddersfield Town 10-1 at Maine Road. Football as an entity was very different back then but on the pitch there was some brilliant football being played, although Huddersfield Town would never agree on that. On 7th November 1987 our then manager Mel Machin’s put him team out on the pitch and they of course famously smashed 10 past their Yorkshire rivals Huddersfield in a Division Two clash. Unfortunately I was old enough but my Dad can certainly claim “he was there”.

Hat-trick boys – Stewart, Adcock and White

He’s told me since that he nearly didn’t go to the match but I don’t believe him, you couldn’t stop him going to any home games in them days. He claims he didn’t think it would be a good match and City weren’t playing well at the time but he braved the weather elements to attend. He doesn’t half like to make the game sound even more dramatic when he tells us about going to this game.

I wasn’t aware of this but my Dad also told me we played them about five times that season after coming up against them in an early FA Cup round. Back then of course there were replays until there was an outright winner. On this day though in our home fixture in the league my Dad was in the old Kippax stand and although it was still an okay atmosphere the attendance was quite low with only 20,000 there.

Thankfully for all those that attended along with my Dad they got something incredible day that they will always remember. City were expected to win the game of course but no one would have ever felt that they would be thrashing Huddersfield like that even after Neil McNabb opening the scoring with a left footed shot. More goals followed in the first half from Paul Stewart, Tony Adcock and David White to make it 4-0 by half-time, but no one could have predicted they’d double that plus more in the second half.

Into the second half and Adcock quickly got two more to get his hat-trick. Stewart also completed his hat-trick too and then White made it 9-0. City being City then gave away a penalty which ex-Man City player Andy May converted to ruin our clean sheet for the day with pretty much the last kick of the game, or so the fans and my Dad thought!

Adcock celebrates his hat-trick

We took kick off again and before we knew it a ball was played over the top and with Huddersfield players on their last legs they played David White on-side. He collected the ball, rounded their keeper to make it 10-1 and complete his hat-trick as well. The headline in the following day’s Huddersfield Examiner was ‘MAINE ROAD MASSACRE!’ It certainly was and thirty years on we still remember it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *